Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What are your personal commandments?


So, I am almost done with an awesome book, “The Happiness Project”.  This book was given to me at Christmas by my sister-in-law who thought the book would tie into my whole health and wellness kick.

The Happiness Project is the author’s memoir where she spent a year test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific studies and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier.  She basically took 12 months out of the year to work on things in her life that she could focus on EVEN more to make her happier.  Without me going to a full summary of the book, I wanted to point out her 12 personal commandments.  These basic commandments guided her through her year long journey. A few of those included:
  • Be Gretchen
  • Let it go
  • Act the way I want to feel
  • Do it now
  • Be polite and be fair
  • Enjoy the process
  • Spend out
  • Identify the problem
  • Lighten up
  • Do what ought to be done
  • No calculation
  • There is only love
I absolutely love the idea of creating personal commandments.  What I found in reading this book is that I have my own commandments, I just didn’t know it. When I reflect, a few of them come to mind:
  • Always look someone in the eye and smile
  • Take care of your elders
  • Be present
  • Hold your tongue for 10 seconds before reacting
  • What would Jesus do?
This book has inspired me to look deeper within.  I’m curious…what are your personal commandments?  Please share.  If you’re interested in checking out the author’s blog, go here:  http://www.happiness-project.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment